Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Brick + Long Swim


A bit behind, but did my first brick of the year last Friday!  3 hour bike, followed by a 30 minute run.

I just did a couple loops around the lake, plus a little extra on the trail for time, so it was kind of boring…but I really didn’t want to have to think and plan it out to get the timing right, etc etc etc.

First loops, I caught up to some guy at the top of a hill.  He immediately jumped on my wheel (right as we started descending, um, thanks??!!) which is fine I guess, except I would kind of like to know when there is someone 2 inches from my wheel.  Mostly so that I don’t do anything dumb, not knowing there’s someone right there!  Anyway, he eventually got in front of me after some intersections/etc through Issaquah when we were taking it easy on the sidewalks…then as we got back onto east lake Sammamish, and I was “stuck” behind him.  Not that he was super slow, but it was just enough that I wanted to go a bit faster.  We had to stop at another stoplight, and luckily he turned and started chatting, and commented on how strong I was riding etc, and I was able to take that time to hop ahead of him (without looking like a jerk, which is what I’m always afraid of).  This time, he said “I’m gonna jump on your wheel if that’s ok…” to which of course I said “sure!”  As long as I know, buddy.

Anyway, he turned off after a bit, but it was nice to at least have human interaction for a bit ;) The second lap was a little more lonely, but honestly it all went by pretty quickly.  Kind of nice to go somewhere so familiar that you literally don’t have to think or pay too much attention.  Before I knew it, I was back in Redmond and did some quick math to see how much extra to tack on on the trail…and it came out just about perfect!  I am super lucky and have awesome friends ;) so I was able to use Mac and Kyle’s garage for all my stuff…meaning I didn’t have to work out of my car’s trunk, and could instead have a little space to strew my stuff around, etc.

After a quick, 3:57 swap to my run stuff (yes I timed it, but only because Shawn told me to try to keep it under 5 minutes, so of course I had to try to be as precise as possible), it was time to run!  Gosh, I’ve missed that awful, awful feeling of running off the bike ;) My toes were totally numb on both feet, I could barely move my legs..and I was running like a 7:30 but felt like I was standing still.

Since this was NOT a race, I really, really, really knew that there was NO reason to be running that fast.  I kept trying to tell myself that but I’m really not the best at that.  In the end I averaged like a 7:58/mi so I was at least able to slow it down a little..but still feel good about actually being able to run.  Just under 4 miles total, which was pretty great, although I kind of wanted to keep running.  I kept thinking about how I would feel if I DID keep running…for another 20+ miles.  And after double the distance on the bike.  And also a swim.  Kinda scary.

Anyway, legs started feeling alive about 15 minutes in, and finally got blood back in my toes.  I’ve only done up to an Olympic distance, meaning this was by far the longest bike I’ve done prior to a run.  So, it was really good to confirm that I “felt” about the same afterwards—my legs didn’t take any longer to get acclimated, I wasn’t really that much more tired or anything, and I was able to do it just fine.  I did with I had remembered to grab my gu that I had conveniently left with my shoes for that very reason, but somehow I still managed to forget it.  Ah well.  Luckily I was (relatively) good on the bike and had a full bottle of skratch and some chomps, so it wasn’t too bad—just on the verge.

Overall, a very successful day!  I know I need to be fasted on the bike buuuuut that’s for another time.  I was at 54 miles in just over 3 hours, so that doesn’t exactly come up to a less-than-6-hour bike for the full 112 buuuut like I said—there’s still time.  Trying not to stress numbers too much.

Plus, I had the garage with all my stuff waiting, and was able to pack up in much more comfort than if I had been out of my car.  And then Mac texted asking how it was, I said I was trying to put my brain back together, and she told me to grab a coke from the fridge.  And it was the best ever.  So, win!

Aside from that, I did my longest swim yet!  Yesterday I swam 3500 yards.  Yeah yeah, I know.  Only 2 miles.  And way slow..but honestly, it was a little faster than I was expecting.  Mostly I was happy thati was able to hold steady for the first set of 1500 (bleh), and then speed up the second set.  As planned.  Not only that, but the last 500 was at like a 1:55/100yd pace which for ME is amazingly fast, AND I held it for a full 500 yards.  I honestly thought I was going to die by the end, but hey, just being able to actually push it in the water is huge for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment