Thursday, January 8, 2015

Swimming Again!


Well… I started swimming again.  As in, that tattoo is “healed enough” and it’s now on my schedule so I have to do it!  Slathered up my leg with lots of BlueSteel, and... what?!  2500yd, really?!  Pretty sure my longest swim workout all summer (aka ever) was 2500 yards.

Let’s just say it was awful, but hey, at least I did it.  My awesome new Garmin FR920XT decided to be dumb and only really recorded/showed me stuff for the first 150yd, but it kept the timer going so I thought it was still recording but when I went to upload—nope, just 3 minutes worth.  Ugh.  Oh well.  It wasn’t really something I want to remember ;)

In any case, it got done.  It took forever and a day, and my form was awful and all that (excuses, excuses) but I swam 2500yd, dangit!  Actually I think I added some extra because I was keeping track in my head as a backup and kind of forgot where I was once or twice.

I also swam really chill.  As in, I didn’t push myself.  I really only have one speed when I swim, and that is SLOW.  I feel like I can’t push myself, I just don’t know how to or don’t have the strength or something.  So I just kind of plodded along, didn’t really exert myself, but also didn’t have a panic attack and was able to breathe the whole time, so there’s that.  I know that I need to get faster in general, but half of that will be learning how to just exert more effort in general.  I have no problem pushing myself hard biking or running but I just can’t do it in the water.  Things to learn.

Back to the gym for a full body strength session tonight.  I get bored and don’t really like strength training because it’s a different “type” of workout and while it’s hard, it’s a different kind of work.  Not nearly as much fun as running or biking.  But on the other hand, I know it’ll be really good for me so I’m happy that I am being “forced” to do it now (and have guidance).  Plus, I have some awesome new shoes sooooo there’s always that bright side :)

No comments:

Post a Comment