Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Skagit Flats Half Marathon 2014


On Sunday, I did the Skagit Flats Half Marathon!  Last year, this race was my very first half marathon, which I decided to do on a whim about 5 days beforehand.  Last year, I was really just starting my whole running journey, and I know I have come really far since then.  So, I was really excited to run it again and kind of compare!

On the one hand, I know I am a much better runner now, and know a lot more about how I feel and how/when to push myself, as well as have a lot more confidence in myself (if I can run a marathon, I don’t need to be so worried about a half).  That being said, I also knew I was putting pressure on myself, because I knew that I “should” be faster, but I also knew I ran pretty well last year anyway, so who knows.

The day started out early, that’s for sure.  4:45am, or something like that.  This year, though, I am getting up at 5am to swim three times a week, so it really wasn’t quite as terrible (except this was a weekend! Grr)…  Drove up with Mac, Katie and Megan, tried to wake up, etc etc etc… I was really not feeling it.  I just did not feel like running—mentally or physically.  Nevertheless, I got ready and laced up.  Mac was shooting for a 1:45 (or less), so I figured I’d run with her... last year, we finished in 1:46:20 (which was my 13.1 PR), so a 1:45 goal would beat that.  It also meant a sub-7min/mile average but…ehh, if there’s one thing I’ve learned this year, it’s that I can easily push to go faster when I’m actually racing, and that just because training feels one way, an actual race is always different.

After standing in line for the porta-potty one last time, I gave up (just a few people to go!) because they were about to start.  At that point, I was more nervous about the race starting than anything else, so I crossed my fingers that everything would be ok (it was).

And suddenly, we were off!  As always, it was crowded and we got swept up for a bit. After a mile or so, it kinda normalized and people found their paces.  After a couple miles, as we also settled into a pace, we were hitting 7:40-7:50, which was perfect.  The sun was coming out and I was worried it would get super-hot out, but luckily, the real heat held off.  At around mile 5, Mac and I agreed we were going a comfy pace and that so far, so good!

The second we turned around and head back for the second half, we were reminded that there was a headwind.  Funny, I didn’t feel a tailwind on the way out!  Oh well.  We were still hitting 7:50, creeping up to 8, but it wasn’t quite as easy.  No worries though; again, we both agreed that it felt good, and there was certainly plenty left in the tank to push it later.  No point it using up that energy now.

Hitting the mile 10 mark is always nice.  Somehow, being in the double digits sounds a whole lot closer.  Plus, now it’s only 3.1 to go!  I can do anything for 5k, right?  We kept at it, and my legs were certainly starting to feel a lot heavier than before, but nothing too bad or unusual.  We saw friends on course (the best part of an out-and back like that is seeing so many people!  Kind of a good distraction), and had lots of people (mostly spectators) comment on our neon outfits :).  Right after mile 11, I could feel side ache coming on, just a minor irritation and I was hoping it wouldn’t turn into anything more.   As I turned to joke about it to Mac, she suddenly stopped abruptly, with HER ab hurting (but obviously a lot more).  We stopped a few seconds.  We walked a little.  We cautiously started running a bit.  We stopped again.   I think she said something about me going on but there’s no way I was going to leave her behind now; we were so close, kinda pointless and I knew she would be able to start running again soon enough.

The next time we started running, we stayed running.  A little easier, but really not a huge deal at this point.  Thanks to our strong pace at the beginning, we were well on track, and even with the stopping, we finished in exactly 1:45:00!  Awesome.  So we would have finished about a minute or so faster without that, but definitely not complaining.  The most important part was being able to jump back into it after that setback, and finish, AND we both still got PRs out of the deal!  It’s always so much more fun to run and finish with a friend, and this time was no different.  There’s just something different about going through the whole race together and sharing it :)

We hung out and lay out on the grass by the finish line (comfiest spot ever), and finally met up with Katie, and then Megan.  Turns out Megan also had some serious cramping issues, but she got through it like a champ.  We waited and watched Francis finish too, since he was doing the full marathon…he finished his very first marathon in 3 hours and a couple seconds.  Insane!

All in all, it was a great morning of running.  I wasn’t very excited about it, but it turned out great, and once I got moving, I was totally into it—a good lesson for next time.  Plus, running with friends is always better!

Now I’m trying to find the balance between taking it easy, and being ready for the next couple weeks:  Black Diamond Olympic this Sunday, and Kirkland Sprint the following Sunday.  Oh boy.  Need to sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment